Home NFLMass. to investigate Cards exec’s alleged betting

Mass. to investigate Cards exec’s alleged betting

by Charles
5 views

TEMPE, Ariz. — A second investigation has been opened related to former Arizona Cardinals scout Ryan Gold’s alleged betting activity.

The Massachusetts Gaming Commission is looking into unusual betting patterns made in the state, a spokesman told ESPN. Massachusetts' investigation comes after an investigation by the Arizona Department of Gaming was opened in July.

Both investigations are still open. Neither investigation has a set end date.

Gold has filed an appeal and has a hearing scheduled for Sept. 23, his attorney, Mike Caspino told ESPN on Friday.

"There is absolutely zero substance to the claims made against Ryan Gold," Caspino said. "The NFL's investigation is so deeply flawed and so wrong. He will be vindicated next month in our appeal."

In mid-July, right before the Cardinals reported for training camp, the NFL announced that Gold, most recently the Cardinals director of college scouting, was suspended indefinitely for violating the league's gambling policy.

In its investigation of Gold, the league found that the 13-year front-office veteran provided confidential, non-public inside information involving Arizona's 2026 draft selections before the picks were announced. Arizona drafted former Notre Dame running back Jeremiyah Love third overall in April, a decision that was made “at the start” of draft week, Cardinals general manager Monti Ossenfort said after taking Love in the first round.

The NFL also determined that Gold had bet parlays on NFL and college games. However, the league didn't say who Gold provided the information to.

Gold has deep ties to Massachusetts.

His grew up in Westwood, Mass., where he won back-to-back state championships in football. He attended the University of Massachusetts for his undergraduate degree in sport management and his master's degree in higher education. Gold then coached at UMass from 2011 to 2013 after spending two seasons as an offensive undergraduate assistant with the Minutemen.

In March, BetMGM opened Love at 30-1 to go No. 3. He was 2-1 two days ahead of the draft. DK Sports reported before the draft that more bets and more money had been wagered on Love to go No. 3 than any other player offered.

Caspino told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the parlays in question were $10 weekly bets Gold's wife, Jennifer, made with a group of high school friends. Gold was not involved, Caspino said.

ESPN's David Purdum contributed to this report.

Original Article

You may also like

Leave a Comment