Skip to content
NAPLES, ITALY – OCTOBER 25: Kevin De Bruyne of SSC Napoli, instead of celebrating the goal, stops everyone due to an injury during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and FC Internazionale at Stadio Diego Armando Maradona on October 25, 2025 in Naples, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images)
Napoli midfielder Kevin De Bruyne admits his injury earlier in the season was “a pity,” but says completing his rehabilitation in Belgium was the ‘best choice’ as he now feels ‘ready’ for the World Cup.
Napoli star De Bruyne spoke about the injury that forced him to the sidelines for several months in his debut season at the Stadio Maradona.
- Read Football Italia Ad-Free and get access to Exclusive News and Content – Free Trial – Click Here
“It’s hard to explain in front of a camera. At the beginning, I was scared because I had already suffered a hamstring injury two years ago. This is why I decided to do the rehabilitation here. I have full trust in Lieven [Maesschalck] and his staff,” De Bruyne said via TMW.
De Bruyne spoke to the team of physiotherapists who treated him during his months of rehabilitation in Belgium.
De Bruyne was sidelined for nearly five months, from the end of October 2025 to the start of March 2026, missing 30 games across all competitions for club and country.
“We decided to bring the final part of the work on the pitch here,” De Bruyne said.
“In practice, I spent the entire rehabilitation period here, and I think it was the best choice.
“I’ve never had relapses or moments when I didn’t feel well. I didn’t feel pain or discomfort. It’s a pity because I had started the season really well and felt in great shape, but now I look forward with confidence.”
De Bruyne scored five goals and provided four assists in 21 appearances across all competitions with Napoli in 2025-26.
He’s part of the Belgium squad, coached by Rudi Garcia, for the 2026 World Cup, which kicks off in just a few days.
“I hope to be in my best shape as soon as possible,” De Bruyne concluded.
“I feel ready, and I’m convinced that after a couple of games I’ll get back in shape and fully regain my form.”
De Bruyne recently said he was happy Antonio Conte was no longer the Napoli coach, receiving a firm reply from the Italian tactician’s assistant, Cristian Stellini, who said KDB had never shown enthusiasm in his first season at the club.
ByLorenzo Bettoni
Lorenzo Bettoni is the Editor of Football Italia.